Beans + Brown Rice = a complete protein and bursting with B-vitamins! And this dish is so easy to make.
We need all types of vitamins in our diet, because our body doesn’t make vitamins. There are 13 vitamins you need almost daily: four fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) and nine water soluble vitamins, which comprise vitamin C and the eight B vitamins: thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), vitamin B6, folate (B9) and vitamin B12.
B-vitamins are almost exclusively obtained through eating plants which is another shout-out for the Mediterranean Diet. The exception is B12, which is why, if you don’t eat much red meat or none at all, then I suggest that you think about whether you might need a supplement if you know that your B12 is low or you have had it tested.
The B group of vitamins (thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), vitamin B6, folate (B9) and vitamin B12) work together to make our happy hormone, serotonin, as well as keep our brain firing and functioning. This is especially so as we move through menopause and if brain-fog is getting you down, then fire-up your beautiful B-vitamins. Brown rice and beans are a great starting point for you.
Beans and rice are a staple food in many cultures, but in Western cultures, we tend not to think about mixing these two foods together. However, I want to encourage you to try this recipe because if your moods, anxiety and brain fog are getting your down now that you are in menopause, you need this dish!
The MyMT™ KITCHEN: Mexican goes Mediterranean – Brown Rice and Bean Dish
Makes enough for four people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 can of black beans
- Coriander, diced
- Avocado, chopped
- Dressing: Juice from 1 lime + 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional dressing: The dressing above combined with 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp coriander.
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the brown rice following the instructions on the packet.
- In a pan, fry the garlic and spring onion in olive oil on a medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the cumin and paprika and fry for another 3 minutes (until fragrant).
- Drain the black beans and add them to the pan. Leave to cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Combine the cooked rice and beans. Stir through the avocado, coriander, olive oil and lime juice (as well as yoghurt and herbs if you are making the other dressing). Add a good grind of salt and pepper.